Saturday 14 May 2011

Week 14 and 15!

Well weeks 14 and 15 have blended together yet again. Week 14 seems to have left no lasting memory apart from losing 1.5 lbs. Week 15 which is this week past I can remember so will blog that one.


Week 15 saw finally my nose operation getting done! 2 years of waiting, cancelled dates and getting sent home! So Monday the 9th of May was it.


 My Septoplasty.


Septoplasty is a corrective surgical procedure done to straighten the nasal septum, the partition between the two nasal cavities. I have always struggled for as long as I can remember to breath out my nose. The slightest touch of a cold would leave me completely bunged up. On a good day I would get breathless climbing the steps and always feel like I had sinusitis.


I went in at 7.45am and was told I was 2nd last on the afternoon list! As it was I got taken at 1.30pm to the theatre and was out at 2.30pm and back on the ward at 2.45pm. I was on a drip when I woke as I had been so long without fluids and it was a warm day. In the Anesthetic room they had major issues getting a vein so I have a few extra bruises! 4 in total lol.



 I was shocked when I got it done as when I came round in recovery I could kinda breath out my nose ( right side only) but this did help with swallowing the coffee and toast which was lovely. Because of the type of surgery, which meant my nose was 
dripping blood allot, I was last to leave the day care ward at 6.15pm!
It seems that when I was younger the cartilage on the left side on my nose did not stop growing and ended up buckling and blocking the left side and pushing the right. This was how it was blocked.


Recovery so far has been fine. I have not had to take painkillers at all. However a few days later I was in some discomfort with an extremely dry and crusty feeling up my nose.I searched on the web and then went a got a basic Saline nasal spray. That and shoving Vaseline up my nose is easing the discomfort though not removed it. I want to snort it all out but its too sore and too early to do that yet so I will just keep the inside of my nose moist till then.


Got myself a new pair of walking boots yesterday as my others were too tight to allow me to wear proper walking socks in them. Wanted to try them on so went for my 1st little walk last night. A slow 2 mile wander round the woods but it was ace to get some fresh air again. My aim with these boots is to bag a few Munro's ( mountains over 3000 feet) this summer. Plan to do a few in the Cairngorms as its pretty close to here. Might even thinks about Ben Nevis! as its not too far away. Can't wait to get more active again. ( Never thought I would see the day I would say that LOL)


Dieting......Has been hard, gained half a pound last week which I reckon is all the toast, and junk I have been eating while lying on the sofa watching Discovery channel all day. Though I did have the company of my cat Barney who seemed to love my being still and on the sofa for a change.


I don't expect to lose this week either as until I can get out and walk more ( which should start on Monday). I aint bothered its a 2 week recovery from this surgery and I intend to relax and enjoy it. I can make up for the 2 weeks later on :) 

2 comments:

A Bang to remember!

A bang to remember! Tuesday 18th July. Nice enough day weather wise, I decided to go out onto my swing seat in the garden with my coffee. I ...