Friday 6 January 2012

Blood Donors


Took me a while but I finally went and gave blood yesterday. Its something I wanted to do years ago. Mike and I did go one time but it was so so so busy we would of been there hours just waiting to be seen. A friend on Facebook posted that Blood Donors was going to be in town yesterday and so with Mike on Holiday  we went after my work.

 It involved very little waiting about or maybe we were just lucky. We were first given a form to fill in then asked to take a seat. After a few minutes we went our separate ways into little booths. There you are given a more detailed form to complete. After that a nurse comes over to check that you can donate. I was unsure because I am on a medicine for my under active thyroid but that was OK. It only matters if the dosage changes. 

You are then given a wee finger prick and your blood is counted for Haemoglobin count to make sure you could remake the blood! Mine was 130 ( mikes was 165)! The lower limit is 125 so I just made it.


 After this you moved over into the big room where all the beds were. You get shown to a bed and get your own carer. She moves between the 3 beds in her area. Its very relaxed and friendly. 


Having given lots of blood samples in the past I was kinda expecting a nip but it was infact painless. Mike had been taken in before me but my blood was "running like a train" the nurse said so I was done just moments after him. Once it was over I moved over to the tea tables. Cause it was my 1st time I was only allowed juice and a biscuit! Next time I should be able to progress onto Tea/Coffee!! 

Also next time I need to watch what biscuit I take. I took the shortbread fingers which I found out when I came home were 10 syns!! I had already eaten 5 syns that day! I shall go for the slimmer option next time! Which should be May. AND I got this wee key ring with a bit for trolleys! Always handy.


 
Anyways, there was nothing to it, so 

if you read this and were thinking 
about going then JUST DO IT! There 
is nothing to it and it gives you a 
good feeling that you are helping 
someone somewhere.


2 comments:

  1. Prick on finger wasnt as big as the picture shown, never felt a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay well done you! Now I really can call you my 'bloody buddy' hahaha. I only did it for the first time last year after finally plucking up the courage and there is nothing to it! Then I forgot when they were in town the next time after that - felt gutted I had missed it. Then last night gave my 2nd donation - woop woop - does that mean I am now classed as a regular donor??? Because I had came back to give a 2nd donation I also got a wee card telling me all about my blood group and a little badge :)

    ReplyDelete

A Bang to remember!

A bang to remember! Tuesday 18th July. Nice enough day weather wise, I decided to go out onto my swing seat in the garden with my coffee. I ...